Thursday 13 March 2014

Thursday Tasters - 13 March 2014: Beauty's Beast



It's Thursday and time for some awesome writers to give a short taster of their amazing work. It can be a WIP or completed work. So please show some love and leave a comment on their work. It helps and encourages each writer. This week my excerpt is from a WIP Beauty's Beast. A naughty fairytale Enjoy




“Somebody’s moved into the old house.” Mr Briar, a short man in his fifties smiled cheerily as he tried to get the attention of his slender twenty year old daughter across the kitchen table where they were both sat. “Rosie, did you hear what I said?”

“Sorry Dad.” Rosie took her nose out of the book she was reading to look at her father. I was just at a good bit,” she laughed. She put the book away out of his sight. She did not want her father finding out what she liked to read.

“I was just telling you that someone has moved into the old house. I saw a couple of vans outside it yesterday. You never know, it might be a friend for you.” Mr Briar felt his daughter spent far too much time at home with her books and ought to get out more, but she seemed happy enough.

Rosie laughed, twirling a few strands of her long dark hair between her fingers. Her blue eyes sparkled like sapphires.“Are you trying to tell me something? I’m happy here, and not ready for any relationship yet. Besides, who’d take care of you?”

“I’m not an invalid yet,” he quipped, his virtually bald head shaking in dismay. “And you have your life ahead of you. I just thought it would be interesting to find out who’s there.”

Rosie’s red lips broadened into a smile. “Okay Dad, I’ll take a walk by there later and see what I can find out. Now then ... more tea?”
******************************************

6 comments:

  1. I love this Naomi! And your words are so comfortable, with easy banter and flow. Such an unremarkable breakfast exchange between a Father and his daughter over a daily event was remarkably real. We learned allot about them both in just a few words to make us curious too, to learn who moved in. Can't wait to read the rest. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giggles, her dad is very interested. great little taste. Love the hiding the reading part. Makes me curious who moved in and if her dad already spied someone for her...the snoop. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interaction between father and daughter reminds me a bit of the relationships I have with my own daughters. This speaks to the realism of the work. Remarkable and well done ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fairytale seems remarkably grounded in reality, the relationship between father and daughter very disarming. I look forward to seeing how the tale develops...

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds very content, but I can't wait to see if this new neighbor can shake her up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does Dad set her up for a relationship with the new neighbor he will regret? I hope she finds her neighbor enticing enough to be loved by someone more than her father. Great beginning to s a story I'm very interested in reading more. This introduction captures my interest.

    ReplyDelete

I long to know what you think. So please leave me a comment